The Z’s Teen Ambassador Program facilitates learning in the arts through exposure, collaboration, creativity and engagement in the arts. The program provides unique artistic opportunities as well as work readiness training for those interested in pursuing a career in the arts, or an arts related field.
The Teen Ambassador program is a free program that consists of 10-15 high school students that demonstrate an interest in the performing arts, community engagement and have an aptitude for writing. Through the Teen Ambassador Program, students are able to:
- Attend 6-8 world-class performances by an array of artists in genres they may not be exposed to otherwise
- Participate in master classes and workshops
- Author original reviews of performances and have their work published to The Z’s website
- Gain exposure to behind-the-scenes operations at a nonprofit arts organization by working closely with the organization
- Accumulate community service hours
- Participate in arts events throughout the community
- Collaborate with peers also interested in the arts
- Be 13-18 years old
- Have access to a computer and the internet
- Be able to attend regular pre-show meetings, 3 workshops, 6-8 Mainstage shows per year (for which tickets will be provided by The Zeiterion) and accumulate at least 15 volunteer hours at The Z.
- Be able to produce a review of each performance attended
- Obtain Parental Permission
- Complete and Submit an application by NOV 1
Applications must be received by NOV 1 and can be sent by mail or email. Applicants will be notified no later than NOV 10. A mandatory meeting for applicants and parents/guardians will take place on Tuesday, NOV 21 at 6 pm.
Teen Ambassador Program
684 Purchase Street
New Bedford, Ma 02740
Throughout the months of October to May, students are invited to six to eight different performances from internationally renowned artists, free of charge. Performances take place at night or on the weekends.
Ambassadors meet one hour prior to each of the performances to discuss concepts and themes, take part in ancillary activities and prepare themselves with the knowledge needed to provide a comprehensive arts experience.
Participants author an review for each of the performances they attend. The reviews are then published in the form on blogs, which live on The Z’s website. Students with a strong interest in writing about the arts are encouraged to apply.
Ambassadors will complete a total of at least 15 volunteer hours at The Zeiterion and throughout the community during their time with the program.
The Z offers a number of workshops that incorporate a variety of performing arts related skills and topics. Workshops take place after-school or on the weekend. Teen Ambassadors participate in these workshops at no cost.
Attendance is mandatory at all meetings, shows, workshops and events. Students are permitted two excused absences throughout the year with written documentation from a parent or guardian. Further absence may be cause for dismissal from the program.
This program is supported in part by a grant from the New Bedford Cultural Council, a local agency which is supported by the Massachusetts Cultural Council, a state agency.